Monday, April 7, 2008

Is this for real?




Just recently, I went to visit my parents in their 55+ gated community in Florida. I drove all around the nooks and crannies of their appropriate little villages and didn't see one blade of grass out of place.


All of the palm trees stood just right; facing the south. The Hawaiian Red Ti plants shined a bold pinkish maroon when catching the last rays of light at 7:30 p.m.


I thought to myself: "Is this for
real?"



Even at one of the three swimming pools, (that's right, I said T-H-R-E-E) where I brought our little one, there were couples sunning in their plastic lounge chairs --- all facing the south wearing their perfect golden bronzed skin. The kind of bronzed skin only achievable to those living south of Seminole county.


There were even children present playing and splashing as if they were in the library. There was a wind breaker made of glass where you could catch a glimpse of the egrets in the pond, but also blocked the sometimes chilly wind on a low 70 degrees day.



I thought to myself: "Is this for
real?"

On the drive back from the pool, I noticed the remnants of trash day. All of the yellow plastic rectangular recycling bins stood just right facing the south--- all leaning on their longest left side. Each and every one of them on the same sides, on the same side of the street the entire way down to my parents. Only two miles, mind you.


I thought to myself: "Is this for
real?"


I entered their house through the connecting kitchen door from the garage. My father makes me park his car exactly 18 inches from the front of the car (so he can walk freely from the door to his tools) and 18 inches from the back of the car (so there is no doubt whatsoever that the garage door, even faulty sensored capable garage doors, won't smash into the back of his fairly new Toyota). Every time I park I am supposed to look to my right and park the car exactly so the last right inch of the "Oh my, Oh my!" overhead handle on the passenger side sits right in between these two brackets from the wall shelves.

I thought to myself: "Is he for real?"

Entered into the kitchen and I noticed this orchid sitting on their counter. I see it every time I get to wash the dishes. I look at it and look at it and say to myself, "After all 42 years (that I know of and have seen) of real live plants of all shapes and sizes, my parents finally decided to do the artificial thing. Surprisingly, this orchid looks real."


My mother walks by, sees me washing the
dishes, and says, "Isn't it just beautiful? There is a flea market in Mount Dora where you can get these plants sometimes two for $15.00."