Monday, April 28, 2008

Tenacity and Perseverance



Posted by PicasaIf at first you don't succeed, try, try again. We've all heard this sentence before. We've all said it to ourselves before in hopes that saying it would in fact make us try, try again. Harder the next time. Better the next time. More gumption. More gusto!
I met this young man at a health summit in East Baltimore where a group of local funders and corporations gathered together to address childhood obesity. About 600 people attended visiting booths that were set up with information and programs to help get your child to
"Eat Right and Get Moving!"
I followed this young man around for most of the day. Maybe it was his cool and collected demeanor. His captivating smile. The way his eyes twinkled when he heard his favorite jam. He even let me follow him around with my camera. I got him eating an apple. I got him on the dance floor. I even got him shopping in a pretend corner store.
But what got me that day was watching him try his very first attempt at rock climbing. And watching him try his second attempt at rock climbing. And watching him try his third attempt... you get the picture.
Every single time and always with a please, even up there he would remember his manners. He would say, "Please, please someone help get me down" or "Please, I want to turn around" or "Can someone get me, please?" The rock climbing instructor always made sure he got a few more feet up on the rocks before rescuing him.
He would come down, shake his head, get out of gear and wait in line for his next turn.
I went inside and continued on with my shoot. 102 pictures later, I ventured back outside and asked the instructor, what number he was on. "This is #12," he said, "and this time he is going to make it, so God help me."
About a third of the way up, the young man looked down and said,"Please, please, I can't do it, someone get me." I offered my two cents. "Just one more foot. You can do this." He did just that.
About halfway up, he looked down and with fear in his eyes he said, "Please, someone, I need to turn around. This time it was a crowd of people cheering him on, "Grab the next one, lift up your legs. Climb!"
And he did just that.
Before you know it, he reached the top of the rocks. All eleven attempts before he never made it this far. All eleven attempts, he could only see the bell, and not be close enough to ring it.
This time, it was different. He got to the top and rang that bell so hard and so many times.
He did it, he really did it!
You should have seen the smile on his face that time. You thought he was captivating before wait until you see him smiling after knowing what he had just accomplished. If at first you don't succeed, damn it,
you just need to do it again.
We could all learn a little something from this little guy.
I sure did.